Continue holding the vent together until all the glue has set. If there is any section that is not holding together, go back and insert more hot glue and hold it closed again.*If you are not comfortable using a hot glue gun, you can use a needle and thread and sew the 2 wires together.
I used Rust-oleum to paint the vents. It took two coats, but covered very well. When the vent is dry, look it over carefully to make sure that you didn’t miss any spots. I did find it easier to hang the vent from a pole so it didn’t stick to the newspaper.
Once the vents have dried completely, now you can start decorating them. I used sticks from my yard as well as cinnamon sticks for the stem. On one of them, I let the floral pic be the stem. I used raffia and scarecrow picks. On the black ones, I just put a bow and glued some spiders from the dollar store. The possibilities are endless.