2 Cans San Marzano Tomatoes – 28 oz each
2 Cans Tomato Paste – 6 oz each
1Lb Ground Beef
1LB Ground Pork
1LB Ground Veal
1 Yellow Onion
3 Garlic Cloves
1 Cup Fresh Parsley
Salt and Pepper
¼ Cup Olive Oil
1 Cup Dry Red Wine
1 LB Ground Almonds plus more for serving
1 Cup Grating Cheese plus more for serving
1 LB Ditalini Pasta
1. In heavy bottom Stockpot, heat the olive oil.
2. Slice the onion and add it to the hot oil. Let brown. When the onion is soft and translucent, add the Garlic. Browning the garlic will only take a minute or two.
3. Remove the Garlic and Onion from the pot.
4. Add the ground beef, pork and veal. Season the meat with salt and pepper and ½ cup fresh chopped parsley.
5. In a large bowl, crush the tomatoes. You can do this by hand or with an emulsion blender.
6. Once the meat is browned, add the crushed tomatoes to the pot. Swirl some water in the tomato cans to get any leftover tomatoes out of the can.
7. Add the tomato paste. Fill each empty tomato paste can with water and add to the sauce.
8. Add the red wine.
9. Stir to mix all ingredients together.
10. Add ½ cup chopped parsley
11. Season with Salt and Pepper. Don’t forget, this is a lot of tomatoes, so add enough salt.
12. Let simmer for 1 hour.
13. Skim off any visible grease from the top of the sauce.
14. Boil the pasta until al dente. Drain.
15. Assemble the pasta in a baking pan by layering sauce, pasta, nuts and cheese. Continue with the layers until you have filled the baking pan.
16. Serve with additional sauce, cheese and almonds.